Eco-friendly homes aren’t just good for the environment; they’re also good for your wallet. From the way your Florida retirement home is built to the little ways you use it on a daily basis, choosing an environmentally friendly approach can result in significant savings each year. The homes at Lake Ashton are certified green and designed to save earth’s resources, create better air quality, be energy efficient, and save you money. There are additional, low-cost ways you can continue to make your home more eco-friendly.
1. During the winter, take advantage of that famous Florida sunshine and open your blinds and curtains. You can save on heating bills by letting the sun shine in during the day, naturally warming your home.
2. Make a point of unplugging appliances when they’re not in use. Televisions, in particular, are left in standby for much of the day, which still uses energy. If unplugging items isn’t convenient, consider plugging them into multi-socket extension cords that can be turned on and off with just one switch.
3. The Lake Ashton Islander series of homes makes use of energy efficient appliances, but there are additional steps you can take to make them even more efficient. Your refrigerator should be kept in the shade. If it’s in direct sunlight, it has to work harder to keep cool. In addition, make sure there is at least three inches between the wall and your refrigerator to allow for proper air flow.
4. Low-flow toilets and shower heads make your home more water efficient, but there are additional steps you can take to conserve water. Turn the tap off when you’re brushing your teeth, and when you shave, use a cup of water to rinse your razor, rather than using a running tap.
5. Florida retirement means a lot more time to enjoy the outdoors, throughout the year. To create an attractive, environmentally friendly landscape, use native plants that can thrive easily without excessive care. Additionally, consider creating your own organic compost and install a rainwater collector to help reduce your water usage.
These are just a few of the low-cost ways you can make your green home even greener. And don’t forget to literally make your home more green with plenty of houseplants. Not only are they attractive, but they also help purify the air in your home.