If you’re old enough to remember Nancy Sinatra’s hit song, “These Boots are Made for Walking,” you’re probably old enough to be thinking about retiring in Florida, where it’s easy to make walking a year-round part of a healthy, active lifestyle.
Just as Sinatra’s boots were made for walking, our bodies are designed for walking. In fact, walking is one of the best forms of exercise for people of any age. Some of the many benefits of walking include:
• Overall physical health. Walking can help lower blood sugar, reduce body fat, lower blood pressure and help you maintain a healthy digestive system. Walking may also reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke.
• Reduce stress. Walking alone gives you a chance to meditate and reflect on your surroundings, or to relax and escape from the demands of day-to-day life.
• Social interaction. Because it’s easy to talk while walking, you can build and enhance friendships while doing this activity. It’s also a great way to meet people after retiring in Florida.
• May help with memory impairment. Studies are showing strong evidence that walking may help slow cognitive decline in adults with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease.
• Low cost. The only cost to add walking to your fitness routine after retiring in Florida is a good pair of shoes and a commitment of time. No other special equipment is required.
The beautiful gated community of Lake Ashton is a haven for walkers who enjoy strolls around the lakes, green spaces and neighborhoods. On the rare days when inclement weather makes staying inside preferable, you can walk on the indoor track in the fitness center.